Lemon pie has long been a favourite dessert that my dad and I like to share together – it’s one of both of our favourites. Here’s an updated, extra delicious version of my time-tested vegan, gluten-free recipe!
Warning: you will never have leftovers of this incredible pie!
Chef tip: Try replacing the lemon juice and zest with lime instead!
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups plant-based milk
- ½ cup water + 4 tbsp. agar agar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch + 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
RASPBERRY LAYER Ingredients:
- 1 jar (about 1 cup) raspberry fruit spread/jam
- 4 tbsp water (to thin it out)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a food processor, pulse the almonds and walnuts until coarse. Add the maple syrup and coconut oil and pulse until the mixture forms a sticky dough. Press into a spring-form pan and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant. Let cool while you prepare the filling.
3. In a saucepan, let the agar agar dissolve in the water and bring to a boil, letting it simmer gently for 1-3 minutes or until the agar agar is fully dissolved.
4. Add maple syrup and let boil over medium heat for another minute or two, stirring constantly.
5. Combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, coconut oil, and arrowroot starch into a smooth paste. Add this mixture and the soy milk to the pot with the agar agar and let it cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thick and smooth – about 7 minutes.
6. Pour into the crust and let cool. Pour any extra filling into single-serving bowls or ramekins for a special treat!
7. In a small pot, dilute the raspberry fruit spread over medium heat with the water. Let the mixture come to a gentle boil, turn the heat off, and let it sit on the hot element for about 5 minutes.
8. Pour the raspberry sauce over the lemon filling layer and let the pie cool significantly before placing in the fridge.
9. Cover with parchment and chill in the refrigerator over night.
10. Serve cold – enjoy!